Zlatan Ibrahimovic, the legendary Swedish footballer who has left an indelible mark on the sport, has recently announced his retirement at the age of 41. Over his illustrious career spanning more than two and a half decades, Ibrahimovic has shattered numerous records and established himself as a formidable force on the field. Known for his towering presence and undeniable skill, he has built a brand around himself, becoming a menace for opposing teams throughout his career.
During his final stint with AC Milan, Ibrahimovic’s return to San Siro proved to be triumphant as the team clinched the Serie A title after a decade-long wait. This achievement further solidified his status as a true football legend.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s Records
- Oldest Player to Score Two or More Goals in a Serie A Game: In October 2021, Ibrahimovic made history by becoming the oldest player ever to score two or more goals in a Serie A match. At the age of 40 years and 48 days, he achieved this remarkable feat, cementing his place in the record books.
- Sweden’s All-Time Leading Goalscorer: In 2014, Ibrahimovic reached a milestone by becoming the highest goal scorer for the Swedish national team. With a record-breaking tally of 62 goals, he surpassed Sven Rydell’s previous record and solidified his place as a legend in Swedish football.
- Unique Achievement at Barcelona: Ibrahimovic stands as the only Barcelona player to score in each of his first five La Liga appearances. This exceptional accomplishment showcases his immediate impact and goal-scoring prowess during his time at the Catalan club.
- Oldest Goalscorer in Serie A History: In March 2023, Ibrahimovic once again etched his name in the annals of football history by becoming the oldest goalscorer in Serie A. At the age of 41 years and 166 days, he surpassed the previous record held by Alessandro Costacurta, who had achieved the feat at the age of 41 years and 25 days in May 2007.
- Highest Foreign Goalscorer in Serie A: Since his debut in Italy’s top-flight league in the 2004/05 season, Ibrahimovic has consistently displayed his scoring prowess. With a remarkable tally of 156 goals, he holds the record for being the highest foreign goalscorer in Serie A.
- Scoring in Every Minute of Football: Ibrahimovic joins an elite group of players, including Cristiano Ronaldo and Luis Suarez, who have scored in every minute of football. This accomplishment highlights his ability to find the back of the net throughout the duration of a match.
- Oldest AC Milan Player in the 3 Points-for-a-Win Era: At the age of 41 years and 146 days, Ibrahimovic became the oldest player to represent AC Milan in a Serie A game during the era where three points were awarded for a win. He surpassed the previous record held by Alessandro Costacurta.
- Record-Breaking Start at AC Milan: Ibrahimovic’s return to AC Milan in the 2020/21 season was nothing short of spectacular. He became the first player in the club’s history to score 15 goals in his first 15 games of a single Serie A campaign in the three points-for-a-win era. This achievement solidified his immediate impact and prowess in front of goal.
- Joining the 300-Goal Club: Ibrahimovic joins an elite club of players who have scored 300 goals in the big-5 European leagues during this century. Only Cristiano Ronaldo (483) and Lionel Messi (475) have achieved this feat, further emphasizing Ibrahimovic’s remarkable goal-scoring ability.
- Scoring Against 80 Different Teams: In the Big-5 European leagues since 2000, Ibrahimovic became only the second player, after Cristiano Ronaldo, to score against 80 different teams. This milestone showcases his ability to consistently find the back of the net against a wide range of opponents.
As Zlatan Ibrahimovic bids farewell to the football world, these records stand as a testament to his extraordinary career. His talent, charisma, and relentless pursuit of excellence have left an indelible legacy that will be remembered by football fans around the globe.