In the 2023 ODI World Cup, the Netherlands cricket team has managed to stay in contention by defeating South Africa and Bangladesh. While the odds may be against them, they still have a slim chance of reaching the semi-finals. Let’s break down the possibilities in detail.
Current ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 Points Table
The current points table for the ODI World Cup 2023 is as follows:
Points table updated till NED vs BAN (Match-28).
Remaining Schedule Matches for the Netherlands Team
- vs Afghanistan in Lucknow on 3rd November
- vs England in Pune on 8th November
- vs India in Bengaluru on 12th November
How Can Netherlands still qualify for semifinals in the World Cup
For the Netherlands to have a shot at the semi-finals, they need to win all three of their remaining matches. If this happens, it would have a ripple effect on other teams:
1. Bangladesh: Bangladesh already has five losses in the tournament, positioning them below the Netherlands in the points table.
2. England: England has four losses, and if they lose to the Netherlands, they would also have five losses, placing them below the Netherlands in the points table.
3. Pakistan: For the Netherlands’ chances to improve, Pakistan should lose one more game in their remaining schedule, preferably against Bangladesh or England. However, it would be better for the Netherlands if Pakistan beats New Zealand.
4. Sri Lanka: Sri Lanka should lose two more games in their remaining schedule. It would be beneficial for the Netherlands if Sri Lanka loses to India and Bangladesh while winning against Afghanistan and New Zealand, respectively.
5. Afghanistan: Afghanistan should lose two more games in their remaining schedule. Based on the previous statements, Afghanistan would lose to both Sri Lanka and the Netherlands, positioning them below the Netherlands in the table.
6. New Zealand (or) Australia: For the Netherlands to have a chance, New Zealand (or Australia) should lose all their remaining games in the tournament. As per the previous statements, New Zealand would lose to Pakistan and Sri Lanka already. New Zealand should also lose another game, possibly against South Africa, to have just four wins in the points table.
7. Australia: Australia will play their remaining games against teams like England, Afghanistan, and Bangladesh. For the Netherlands to have a chance, Australia should lose all three of these games if New Zealand manages to win against South Africa.
Conclusion: If all these scenarios unfold as described, the Netherlands could pull off an improbable qualification for the semi-finals of the 2023 ODI World Cup with five wins in the table. This would require them to surpass teams like Bangladesh, England, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, and New Zealand or Australia.
So, while the Netherlands’ chances of making it to the semi-finals are slim, there is still a glimmer of hope if several results go their way in the remaining matches of the tournament.